In an effort to meet the needs of the community, FSPEI has implemented the, “It’s Your Right- Protecting Yourself Financially As You Age” project. This project received initial start up funding through the New Horizons for Seniors Program.
The project is unique in the sense that it is designed to educate and empower the senior themselves, encouraging them to utilize available resources to take a pro-active approach to protecting themselves financially as they age.
This project involved 3 core phases: 1) Focus groups with seniors to determine content of the resource toolkit. 2) Development/launch of the toolkit. 3) Hands on training with seniors.
This toolkit is hosted online in the form of a website, www.ItsYourRight.ca and is available in a print version.
Information in the toolkit includes:
- Who Can You Trust: Strangers, Family & Friends, Professionals
- Lending, Giving, Donating: Donating, Lending & Giving Money, Co-Signing
- Having A Conversation About Money: Why It’s Important, When To Start, What To Cover
- Scams & Frauds: Identity Theft, Door-To-Door Sales, Telemarketing Scams, Online Scams & Frauds
- Tips & Safeguards: Safety At Home, Safety On The Internet, Tips for Safe Banking
- Plan For Your Future: Organizing Finances, Budgeting & Money Management, Death of a Loved One, Power of Attorney
- Financial Abuse: What is Financial Abuse, Who Is Involved, Indicators, Giving & Receiving Help
- Getting Help
To access this resource please visit www.ItsYourRight.ca