Couples & Marriage Counselling
Couples counselling can help couples in all types of intimate relationships — heterosexual or homosexual, married or not.
Relationships can be a challenge at the best of times but can become more difficult when a couple’s stresses increase. Couple counselling is aimed at improving relationships, reducing emotional distress, reducing tensions and conflict and enhancing personal well-being. Some couples seek counselling to strengthen their bonds and gain a better understanding of each other, while others seek counselling to improve a troubled relationship. You can use couples counselling to address many specific issues, including:
- Communication problems
- Sexual difficulties
- Conflicts about child rearing or blended families
- Financial problems
Every time a couple wishes to work on their relationship, we first meet with each person individually in order to get a sense of each person’s needs and whether or not we believe counselling will help your situation.
Due to being a not-for-profit our fees for therapeutic counselling are much lower than the fees charged by many private professional providers. Our standard fee for a one hour session is $85. However, fee subsidies are available for persons who are not able to afford this cost. The amount of subsidy available depends on the household’s income and number of dependents… and of course, our level of funding.
Extended health benefits (i.e. Blue Cross, Manulife etc.) may cover the cost of counselling. Each plan is unique; so it is the responsibility of the client to see what his or her plan covers and what limitations, if any, apply.
If your employer has an Employee Assistance Program then you and your family members may use the services included in your program at no cost. Your employer pays for these services as part of your employee benefits package. To know whether or not you are entitled to access the services of Family Service EAP contact your human resources or benefits department.
- Fees for services are to be paid at each session unless other arrangements have been made
- Receipts (in the name of the client being seen) are issued for payments
- Fees are charged for a minimum of one hour; after the hour, fees are in 15-minute increments
- Failure to keep a scheduled appointment or cancel by noon of the working day prior may result in being charged for the session
- Our Charlottetown office is only able to accept debit and cash payments; our Summerside office accepts cash only. Personal checks are NEVER accepted.